Sunday, February 5, 2012

An interview with John Hallberg


Eating and music are two of my favorite things in the world, one has brought me where I am in my professional life and set a path for my future while the other has challenged my waist line and shortened my future.  Today, I was lucky to find the rare opportunity to combine both of my loves.  I sat down for lunch today with esteemed colleague and friend John Hallberg at the Vine Eatery and Tavern.  Halfway into enjoying my meal, it occurred to me that I was sitting across from a member of the prestigious Harmonia Saxophone Quartet and decided it would be fun to get a woodwind players perspective on chamber music.
Adam Stevens:  Describe the typical week for you when it comes to rehearsals.
John Hallberg:  We are rehearsing a bit longer now because we are preparing for a competition.  We meet for eight hours a week split into three sections, two hours on Wednesday, three hours Friday and three hours on Sunday.  When we aren’t rehearsing for a competition, we cut back to six hours per week.  Sometimes the long rehearsal can lead to some frustration, which we try to avoid.
AS:  Are your rehearsals ever coached or is it a student run group?
JH:  Once a week Dr. Tse comes to a rehearsal for an hour or two.  He listens to us perform and gives us feedback and tells us what we need to focus on.
AS: Is there a clear cut leader in the group?
JH:  Not really, everyone is able to make suggestions and give their interpretation on the music.
AS: How important is chemistry in a small ensemble such as this?
JH:  Chemistry is very important.  As I said earlier, we all have to be open to suggestions from one another and be able to listen.  There is a lot of compromise and a lot of give and take when you are part of a small, tight knit group such is this.
AS:  What are some rehearsal techniques you use in a typical rehearsal?
JH:  We do a lot of the basic techniques I am sure you will cover in your amazing, well thought out blog.*  To name a few, we definitely use the metronome.  We work a lot on starting notes together and intonation.  We build chords from the bottom up and sing the music.  We also each have a copy of the score so we know where everyone comes in and how the pieces fit together.
AS:  How do you prepare a piece?  Do you every sight read?
JH:  We rarely sight read music in this group, we try to hand out music before a rehearsal so everyone has a chance to look at it beforehand.  At this level, stumbling through a piece and missing rhythms and notes does not accomplish much.  For each rehearsal, we have a plan and set goals.  We break down and dissect the music into smaller pieces.  One rehearsal, we will start from the beginning and work through the first couple rehearsal numbers.  Then for the next rehearsal we start where we left off and continue.
AS:  Thank you very much for your time, Mr. Hallberg, I am sure my readers and followers will enjoy your insight.
JH:  Thank you, the pleasure was all mine.  It is an honor to be chosen by such a fine musician and friend for an interview.*
I would like to thank John Hallberg again for taking the time to talk with me and help me with the post.  To point out a couple things in particular, I like the idea of having clear cut goals for each rehearsal.  I find it very easy to skip this aspect and come into a rehearsal with no real idea of what is supposed to be accomplished.  This leads to inefficient rehearsals and leaving feeling like nothing is accomplished.  I was also reminded of the simple things once again, like getting a score and using a metronome.  In addition, it amazing to see the dedication it takes to give an extra eight hours a week on top of individual practicing, class work and other ensembles.

 *Disclaimer: Some statements were implied rather than said and added at the discretion of the interviewer.

1 comment:

  1. Good interview, Adam. I personally know John, as we all probably do, and that studio gets it DONE. They've been winning competitions left and right. It feels good to witness that. I definitely agree with what he said about chemistry. It is so important to learn how to work as a group when making good music.

    ReplyDelete