Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Shaking the Cobwebs Off

Taking time off can be quite detrimental to any skill you have acquired.  Rather it is the gym, a sport, your instrument or even chamber rehearsals, there are bound to be some cobwebs that need to be shaken off.  I met with my Orchestral Low Brass section for the first time today as part of an audition repertoire class I am signed up.  Unfortunately, because of Winter break and scheduling conflicts, we went nearly two months without rehearsing together, which can always lead to problems.

The first issue we encountered was not being set up correctly.  I quickly learned I was seated about a foot forward from my intended target making me the victim of Bruckner Bass Trombone!  This was quickly remedied for the safety of my hearing.  After this, we noticed our entrances were very poor.  In and ideal situation, I would have liked to get some chorale books and read a couple of pieces so we could get reacquainted with each other and remember how everyone moves, adjusts and starts phrases.  Unfortunately, due to lack of rehearsal time before our first coaching, we made due with what we had.  We simply placed a quarter note at the beginning of a measure and practiced starting it together.  This reminded us of how are lead player motions us to start and also reminded us of how we articulate together as a group.

Our next issue was intonation.  With the particular piece of music we were playing, it was just a matter of forgetting which chords we were playing and which part of the chord we were.  This was a simply fixed by a short analysis.  The final issue I noticed was remembering how to listen.  A lot of times in band, you can just watch your conductor give you the "answers" as to when to play.  Even in individual practice, it's just point and shoot, but with chamber rehearsal, you're on your own and the only way to figure out where to go is with your ears.  If you don't listen, it can take a really long time to hear tuning issues and adapt to articulations and no one wants to keep running a fortissimo section because no one is listening!


I am sure there is a laundry list of other problems you can run into after a leave of absence from a rehearsal situation.  This were just the larger issues I encountered today.  Feel free to draw my attention to other possible problems or solutions!  HAPPY BLOGGING!

2 comments:

  1. Taking time off can be detrimental. I agree with that. You have to do something everyday to make it a habit like transposition or warming up. Heaven help us all if I don't warm up! It is important to always take time away from the ensemble or practice, but no too much time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To echo Megan--I agree that too much time in warm-up can be an inefficient use of time. However, having a set 'warm-up' time is great for getting everyone on the same page and listening. Glad you are enjoying your excerpts group!

    ReplyDelete