Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ewald

Before reading this article and researching for one of my comps questions, I did not know much about Ewald's quintets.  I assumed they were written for standard brass quintet orchestration and I knew they were standards in quintet repertoire.

After reading this article, it reminds me that good and thorough research are essential.  Checking one source or relying on one individuals account is not reliable research.  One must go above and beyond what is thought necessary.  It is incredible to think that the history of such popular quintet pieces was not thoroughly known. 

I think the piston vs. rotary preference gets blown out of proportion.  I have successfully played on both types of instruments.  I believe a mature enough player can make either type of instrument sound how they want it to sound.  That being said, all the big York and Hirshbrunner tubas in the United States are piston....I found it interesting that Germany's preference for piston was directly affected by what was imported from Europe and the United States.

As for the "trombone cannot play legato" statement, I wonder if any instrument can truly play legato.  The air stream is interrupted by the movement of a valve the same way it would be by a tongue.  I guess the movement of a valve is quicker, but it is still interrupted.

After reading the article I am more confused than I was before and it has not helped me with my comps question!  His first quintet that was written for quintet, then for string quartet that was too hard to be played.  Was that the one in B-flat that starts with tuba solo?  I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment