Saturday, March 24, 2012

Put Your Horns Down and Sing

Over Spring Break, I was fortunate enough to attend a Master Class with Demondrae Thurman, professor of tuba and euphonium at the University of Alabama.  For those of you who don't know, Demondrae is a world renowned euphonium artist and is a member of the Sotto Voce tuba/euphonium quartet.

Following the Master Class, I was able to ask him a question regarding rehearsal techniques.  I asked what he thought his most unique rehearsal strategies with Sotto Voce were.  Demondrae said they really didn't employ any rehearsal techniques which were too outside the box or unique, but their favorite one is to sing their parts instead of playing them.  As much as they tour and are playing, if parts aren't lining up, he said there is no point beating up their lips when it can be solved by vocalizing their parts.

This is a technique I need to use a lot more, since I try to avoid singing as much as I possibly can.  As much playing as we all do on a daily basis, why waste your chops on trying to repeatedly line up a rhythmic passage when it could be sung?  This is one of those "dad was right moments" for me.  Our teachers tell us daily to sing our parts, but we never listen until someone else tells us it is a good idea!




No comments:

Post a Comment