Sunday, April 22, 2012

Recordings

Make sure you get recordings of the pieces you are playing, they are worth their weight in gold.  Certainly you are not expected to emulate exactly what is on the CD, but it helps line things up.  When time is of the essence, it is so great to be able to have a sense of what the piece should sound like before even stepping into a rehearsal. 

As I recently talked about, I am preparing Diversive Elements for tuba euphonium and piano.  I have been rehearsing with Ben a lot but had not been able to rehearse with an accompanist until today, which for those of you counting, that is less than a week before my recital.  Ben and I had done everything we could to have our parts in order, but there isn't much you can do when the accompanist has a busy schedule and cannot make it.  Well, I found a recording of the piece and have literally listened to it 24 hours a day.  I feel like I could close my eyes and I would know where all my entrances are.

Well, we met with the accompanist today and on the first run through, we were able to get past alignment issues and start fixing interpretation things.  So, moral of the story is to find recordings, the quicker you can work on the music, the better the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment